Where it all started
The BC Government commissioned DigitalFutures to conduct the first study in Canada, that set out to discover competitive drivers to build and further develop the ecosystem that supports Vancouver, BC, and Canada, as a global Blockchain and FinTech hub. [Full Report]
Based on the findings of this study and recommendations, DigitalFutures sponsored the establishment of the BC Blockchain Forum, formally inaugurated on October 16th, 2017. The event took place at Gowling WLG with our special guests Thomas Linder (MME) and Lukas Sieber (Greater Zurich economic agency) from Switzerland. It was also attended by officials from the BC Government and Regulators.
With the support of BC blockchain entrepreneurs, consulting firms and professional service providers as sponsors, as well as community volunteers, we offered a variety of roundtables, workshops and meetings that were free and open to everyone interested in blockchain technologies.
Over the past few years, BC has led the way with respect to bitcoin innovation, now it’s time we push it to the next level.
Did you know the world’s first bitcoin ATM was opened in Waves Coffee shop in Vancouver, BC in Oct 29th, 2013?
Recently a study by Bank of Canada revealed that “The citizens of British Columbia report the highest level of awareness of Bitcoin, with a reported growth from 77 percent in 2016 to 93 in 2017. Prairies is ranked second in Canadian provinces in terms of BTC awareness, with Ontario in third place, according to the study”.
The Government of British Columbia has launched OrgBook BC, a new service build on blockchain technologies that will make it easier for companies to quickly and securely share verifiable business information online.
Ecosystem Development Support
The BC Blockchain Forum hosted events to support engagement with and participation in BC government initiatives for growing the BC Blockchain ecosystem, for example
- BC Securities Commission: Meeting: Participation in the Notice and Request for Comment – Consulting on the Securities Law Framework for FinTech Regulation
- BC State of the Blockchain Nation: BC Tokenized Assets and Blockchain Founders/CEO Roundtable: July 23, 2018
BC Blockchain Founders Manie Eagar and MaRi Eagar regularly deliver strategic executive presentations. Examples include:
- Keynote at the Portfolio Management Association of Canada, Vancouver Regulatory Compliance Forum, May 2018.
- Workshop on the Enterprise Blockchain Value Proposition at the Canadian CIO Association – Annual CIO Peer Forum held in Vancouver, April 2018.
- Keynote at the GCFF Global Chinese Financial Forum Vancouver Conference 2018 – Investment in Innovation – on April 28th in Richmond, BC.
- CPA Vancouver Chapter – Blockchain presentation on February 21, 2019 about the year 2020 and capital markets transformation.
Evolving to meet the Future
Through blockchain ecosystem leadership development, not only in British Columbia, but Canada and globally, BC established a reputation for creativity, blockchain community leadership, inclusivity and active engagement with regulators and other key stakeholders.
To build on our past success, and to evolve to meet the capital markets transformation, the BC Blockchain Forum invites everyone to join us in growing the Canadian and international crypto and blockchain ecosystem. We will be making exciting announcements about this soon!!